It so often seems that changing something in a room just highlights something else that needs to be done. This was definitely the case following on from a recent update we made to some Ikea furniture. I’m really pleased with our upgraded cupboards, which give a bit of an edge to a simple room; however their upgrade highlighted the big print hanging above them.
We both still like the print but it didn’t look quite right on such a big wall. Cue another inspirational delve through Pinterest, which had me considering another wall gallery (we already have one in the hall) to spruce the room up. I really liked the impact of doing something on a bigger scale:
The only problem with a wall gallery is that they normally have photographs in. This is fine, if you are a) photogenic or b) comfortable with looking at photographs of yourself. Unfortunately neither I nor Simon fall into either of those categories so a portrait gallery was definitely out. Luckily over the past couple of years we have visited some amazing places, and taken photographs of some famous landmarks. I knew I wanted the gallery frames to be portrait orientated on the wall, which meant photographs of tall buildings would work really well.
I trawled through my hard drive until I found 6 different pictures that we both liked. For a cohesive look I then edited the photos black and white before printing, as well as straightening a few out. The final 6 we chose are below:
In order, these are: Big Ben, Shard, London Eye, Central Park, Palm Trees (not famous, but from our honeymoon to Mexico) and the Empire state building.
Once we’d chosen our photos we decided to keep costs low and print them ourselves, A4 sized, onto photo paper. We then aligned them in the bargain frames I’d found in B&Q (they were reduced to £2 each), before taping them to the frame to ensure they stayed in place. There really wasn’t a lot of wiggle room either side of the frame so getting them lined up was trickier than it sounds! Once they were in place we measured out from the centre of the wall, leaving a 14cm gap between each frame, and hung them. The frames are really light so we didn’t have any restrictions on where we could fix them. This is what they look like:
You’ll be pleased to know we have now straightened them out (wonky photos are a pet hate of mine)! I’ve also shopped our home to add a few accessories to the top of the cupboard, and placed some old porcelain balls into a newly purchased basket (courtesy of the White Company). I think the finished effect is great, but the grey paint (etched onto the glass frame), doesn’t really go with the curtains or the lamp shade so I might need to replace those soon – I feel a hunt for some DIY light tutorials coming along!
Linking up at SNAP!