It seems like at home coffee machines are all the rage these days and we’re no different! We received ours as a Christmas present in 2012 and have used it daily ever since. The only thing that really irritates me about it is the space all the boxes of pods take up in the cupboard.
A while ago I stumbled across a fantastic way of storing them, but as much as I loved the look of the pod holder there was absolutely no way I was forking out over £100 to buy it. Still, I drooled over it for a while, pretty handsome isn’t it?
If you happen to be feeling a bit flush you can check out the original here
However, if you’re feeling a bit thrifty then read on and see how we created ours – it might not be solid Oak but it still looks pretty good!
To create our version we used an old cupboard door, two different widths of strip wood, a glue gun, spray paint and some adhesive letters.
To begin with Simon measured the height of the door and cut the strips of wood accordingly. For the size of the door we used we needed 5 pieces of each.
Simon then glued the smaller pieces of wood onto the door, using pods to measure the necessary with between each piece of thin wood – he used a sharpie to mark where each piece needed to be glued.
Once the thin pieces were firmly adhered, Simon used the glue gun to stick the wider pieces onto the top of the thinner pieces, effectively creating a T-shape for the pod to slide along.
Once all the wood strips were glued to the door and dried we spray painted the entire piece gloss black. If you used nice wood to begin with, rather than an old door, or prefer a natural effect, this might not be necessary!
We ended up giving our masterpiece 3 light coats of paint to ensure even coverage. Once the paint was dry we rechecked the width of each section to ensure the pods would still fit – luckily they did, but at this stage we also added an additional thin strip of wood to the bottom to stop any pods sliding out if the block was lifted.
Originally we were going to stencil “Coffee” onto the right hand side, but after several printer mishaps we decided it was easier to use some stickers from Hobby Craft. They cost £1 per sheet but we had to buy 2 to ensure we had enough – even so, using tools we already had on hand this project cost us less than £5 – a colossal saving on the original!
Linking up at: The DIY Party, Say G’day Saturday, Making Monday, Link it or Lump it, Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop.