I have a LOT of things pinned on Pinterest, but every now and then I see something so ingenious I just have to attempt it myself. Today is one of those days and we’re sharing the love to help you DIY your own geometric wall art.
The inspiration behind this DIY comes courtesy of House of Jade Interiors, who created a show shopping piece using a shower curtain. For this DIY I was planning on using a large piece of fabric which had a beautiful mandala printed on it. However, after much searching for said piece of fabric it appeared I’d hastily got rid of it, which meant back to the drawing board. I still think we have a way to go in the UK compared to the US, but in the end I stumbled upon this geometric shower curtain for a bargain £5 and project DIY geometric wall art was back on!
All you need for this project is:
- Large piece of fabric for your “art”
- Wood to make the frame to the desired size
- Staple gun to fix the fabric to the frame
We started by unfolding the shower curtain and lying it flat on the floor to try and remove the creases. Unlike the post that provided the initial inspiration we weren’t able to iron our shower curtain. Fairly sure that polyester and irons do not mix!
Whilst I supervised the flattening of the shower curtain Simon got busy in the garage making the frame for our wall art. We wanted this to be a large piece, so we settled on a square metre frame.
Simon cut the pieces using his chop saw (any excuse to use a tool) but I suspect a DIY shop could do this for you if needed. He then secured the pieces of wood using screws, added a length across the middle to support the fabric and added strength to the corners with brackets.
Once the frame was ready we placed the fabric face down and placed the frame on the back of it. We moved the frame about to make sure that we were happy with the pattern repeat before pulling the fabric right and stapling the bottom and top of the frame. We then continued to staple the sides, pulling the fabric as tight as we could as we went.
Once the staples were secured we held up the frame, BEFORE cutting of any fabric. This allowed us to check we were happy with how the fabric was positioned and save us buying another shower curtain.
Once we’d cut off the excess fabric we folded the corners (as if you were wrapping a present) and added some more staples for good measure. Simon then attached 2 small hoops to make it easier to hang on the wall.
And this is what the finished effect looks like….
As you can see, we’ve already begun adding some pictures along the bottom to create a wall gallery. I’ve ordered a few more prints and can’t wait to add more.
I’m really pleased with the final effect we achieved. To buy something this big would cost a fair amount of money and we managed to create our own for less than £10! If we ever get bored of the pattern it’ll be really easy to recover as well. Win win all round!