What a busy weekend we’re having! Yesterday we fitted a new light in our dining room and I finally crafted my twine letters. Today we decided to tackle something I’ve been wanting to create for ages, a DIY sun mirror.
I’ve looked at a lot of tutorials on how to create a mirror like this but a lot of them seemed to involve wood shims which I don’t think exist in the UK! So although the ideal one I wanted to create was out I knew there had to be something else we could use – enter two bags of patterned sticks from Ikea (these were £4 each) and a mirror we found in B&Q whilst buying a curtain pole this morning (reduced to £2). The only other things we used to create this were a glue gun and some silver spray paint, both of which we had already.
1. We started by cutting 8 pieces of stick into 15 inch length, using a side cutter. We then distributed these evenly around the circular frame to give us a guideline for the rest of the twigs and stuck in place at the centre and the edge of the frame using a glue gun.
2. Once we had these in place we then cut 8 more 8 inch lengths to create the shortest edge of the sun and glued these in place (fairly!) evenly between the 8 pieces already secured.
3. After this we cut 16 lengths of 10 inches and glued in each section to give us an idea of what the gradual change between sizes would look like.
4. After this things got a little less measured, and a lot more fun! We glued a further 2 lengths, 13 and 12 inches long in each section (which amounts to a LOT of twigs) and continued to secure with the glue gun as we worked around the circle. Once the glue had set a little we were able to see what the mirror looked like from the front and back…
5. We were really happy with the distribution of our “sun” so decided to go for it and paint the mirror silver. Simon masked up the mirror and sprayed 1 coat on the back, 2 coats on the front.
6. Once the paint had dried (this probably took around 30 minutes) we screwed a small eye into the back of the mirror, which was still accessible between some of the twigs. It meant we were able to add a hook into the wall and hang our creation really easily!
Here are a few more shots of it in our dining room. I’m so pleased with how this turned out, and for only £10!