As you may have noticed, there’s been a *little* gap in posts. But I have a good reason (excuse)! I’ve recently taken part in my first ever thrift store swap and it’s been a real creative challenge for me.
If you don’t know how this works a group a bloggers from all over the globe purchase two $10 items and then sends them to another blogger for them to repurpose, upcycle and reimagine in their own image.
Click on over to see who I was paired with as part of the Thrift Store Swap, what items I received and what I did with them. There’s also LOTS of inspiration from the other wonderful bloggers that took part.
I was paired with the lovely Lacey from Feathering my Nest, and she sent me items all the way from Canada. Every Home goes international! Lacey actually sent me a few items, so I decided to choose the ones that I had some sort of inspiration to work with:
Now, Lacey wouldn’t know this but I have a HUGE phobia of owls. So although I thought I could work with them, no way were they staying in any owl like form. I spent a couple of days thinking about what to do with them, and in the end decided to dispose of the lids and create something a bit different – a candlestick!
We removed the lids, stacked the pots and secured the bottom biggest two by drilling through the bases and securing with a nut and bolt. We couldn’t do the same with the top pot so we used our faithful glue gun to attach that.
Now, if you have a quite glamorous home style you probably could have stopped there. However as you know my home is definitely more “50 shades of grey”. I decided that for this to work in my home I needed to tone it down a little and decided to use chalk paint in a cocoa colour to achieve this. And, viola… this is how the first finished project turned out:
The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed that there was another pot which wasn’t used to make the candlestick. Inspired by an image I saw on Pinterest I wanted to give this more of a Nordic vibe and create a concrete effect pot.
This was quite simple really. Firstly we drilled a hole in the lid to thread the string through for a handle and then using special effect spray paint we covered the pot to create the concrete effect.
I’m REALLY pleased with how this turned out! And it goes with some of my other concrete lovelies that I have already.
And that’s it, the finished results of my first ever Thrift Store Swap. It really challenged me doing something with objects somebody else provided, but I really enjoyed it and felt quite a sense of pride once my “visions” had come to life!
As I mentioned, there are quite a few of us involved in this swap, so please take a look at their projects and bask in their creative genius!